Making healthy choices isn't always fun but it doesn't have to be boring. Why not tweak some of your favourite home made meals but switching up the ingredients slightly. That is exactly what I did this past weekend. I created one of my favourite dishes, Shepherd's pie, with a few minor changes to accommodate my current diet and I am going to share with you exactly what I did to save but a few macro nutrients (calories) whilst still enjoying this hearty dish.
I would typically make shepherd's pie with lean ground beef, russet potatoes, creamed corn, carrots, onion, garlic, butter, cheese, 2% milk and peppers, ( lots of starch and fat!) It is so bad but so so good! However, this absolutely is not something I can currently indulge in considering I am prepping for a competition but I also can not subject my son to plain chicken, plain broccoli and yams for the duration of my prep so here is what you’ll need for this reduced fat shepherd's pie:
- 1 Large Sweet Potato - 900g
- Ground Chicken - 1 pound
- 1 packet of Club Houses reduced sodium Shepherds pie mix (which has 0 fat)
- Water 175 ml
- Your choice of veggies -- I used 1.5 cups of broccoli this time around to suit my picky eating sons taste buds
- Almond Butter - 1 tbsp
- Unflavored/unsweetened almond milk - a splash
- HAS 0 cal seasoning salt - sprinkled lightly
- Peel sweet potato and cut into small cubes -- place cubes into large pot filled with water and set to high heat. Bring to rolling boil, reduce heat but keep at light boil for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick/knife slides with ease through cubes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Begin cooking chicken in pan -- ( if pan needs to be greased use a small amount of coconut oil) -- cook on medium-low heat for 15 -20 min or until no pink present in meat
- Chop broccoli and boil in pot for 10-15 min
- Remove chicken from heat once cooked through, drain excess water & fat. Add 175 ml of water to pan and 1 packet of club house mix. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally .
- Drain Potatoes and add almond butter, almond milk and seasoning salt. Mash until smooth and creamy! -- use electric mixer for creamy potatoes
- Drain broccoli
- Transfer chicken and gravy mix to casserole dish, spreading evenly. Add broccoli (veggies) evenly over meat. Dish out and top with mashed potatoes. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 400F for 25min or until potatoes are golden brown!
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5- minutes.
Serve and enjoy!!
Approximate macro nutrients for ⅙ serving :
- Fat - 5.3g
- Carbs - 37g
- Protein - 15.5