The holiday season is upon us and that can usually mean a lot more socializing than normal. We always hear about and many of us experience the holiday bulge, well here are some simple tips to help keep that bulge to a minimum.
Firstly you need to arm yourself with some important knowledge - how many calories are in my favorite holiday treats:
- glass of wine - 90
- pint of beer - 180
- Grande Eggnog Latte (Starbucks) - 460
- Rum and Eggnog - 400
- shortbread cookie (100g) 500
- Know how many extra calories you are consuming!
Now in order to burn those extra you would need to exercise more:
- 60-minute GWA workout burns anywhere from 600-1000 calories depending on how hard you work and how big you are (bigger people tend to burn more)
- 60-minute spin class burns roughly 500-750 calories again depending intensity and physical stature
- 30-minute brisk walk
- 180 calories if you weigh 150 lbs
- 230 calories if you weigh 200 lbs
Some other helpful hints
- Park your car so you have to walk more
- Take the stairs whenever possible
- Drink mostly black coffee (cut the cream and sugar so you can eat those calories elsewhere)
- Book more training sessions with your GWA trainer!!!!
- At the very least, don't miss a workout
- Unfortunately 1 shortbread cookie and a rum and eggnog chaser will set you back a full 60-minute GWA workout from a calorie perspective.
- Avoid too much eggnog and those shortbread cookies, that s#$%t will lay down the pounds...
Now let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with gaining a few fun pounds over the holidays. Relax, get lots of sleep if you can, and have fun. If you find in January you gained a little too much we will be more than happy to help you out:)